Skinny Queso Dip
A zesty chunky cheese dip with chunks of tomatoes, hot peppers, garlic, onions, lime juice, cilantro and spices. Get the chips ready, this stuff is good while it’s hot!
Skinny queso, it sounds like an oxymoron, right? This is a perfect appetizer to serve for the Superbowl, I’m adding this one to the list.
I stumbled on this recipe on Slender Kitchen and curiosity got the best of me so I decided to try it out. To be honest, while I was cooking it I had my reservations. It wasn’t until I scooped some up with my chips that I found myself going for more. Luckily I had a house full of people to help me dip away, and they all gave it a thumbs up.
I served it with Beanitos black bean chips, love them! You can use any light baked chip you desire.
A few things to note: I personally thought this was best right after making, it was all cheesy and stringy. Later I microwaved the leftovers to see how it would re-heat and it was no longer stringy like it was when I first made it so this is definitely something you want to make and eat right away.
Skinny Queso Dip
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 cup skim milk
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp canola oil
- 1 cup minced onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 poblano pepper, diced
- 1-2 jalapeños, seeded and diced
- 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 10 oz can Rotel tomatoes with chiles, diced and drained
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- juice of 1 lime
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ancho chili powder
- 1 3/4 cups shredded reduced fat sharp Cheddar, Sargento
- In a small bowl, whisk together 1/4 cup of the milk with 3 tbsp of cornstarch to create a slurry; set aside.
- Heat a large saucepan on medium heat; when hot add oil. Add the onions, garlic, poblano, and jalapeno and cook until soft, about 5-7 minutes. Season with salt, to taste.
- Add the chicken broth and the rest of the milk. Bring to a boil and cook for about 3 minutes to reduce slightly.
- Add the slurry (cornstarch mixture) to the pan and stir; simmer a minute until it bubbles and thickens, then reduce heat to low.
- Add the drained tomatoes, cilantro, lime juice, chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper. Remove from heat and add the cheese; stir until it melts completely. Serve immediately.
Yield: 11 servings, Serving Size: 1/4 cup
- Amount Per Serving:
- Smart Points: 2
- Points +: 3
- Calories: 92.5
- Total Fat: 4.5g
- Saturated Fat: g
- Cholesterol: mg
- Sodium: 143mg
- Carbohydrates: 7g
- Fiber: 1g
- Sugar: 2g
- Protein: 6.5g